Ladies & Gentlemen…….
It’s that time of the year again!! Super Bowl Sunday is coming up fast and what better way to watch the game than with this elevated, yet simple chili con carne recipe!!
This unique chili is not your average boring recipe, with a meat-centric flavour profile featuring smoky chorizo sausage, ground chuck, brisket, and hickory smoked bacon……..yes I said BACON!……..along with a sweet honey lager, this chili is touchdown worthy!
Start this recipe when you get up Sunday morning and let the aromas fill your house right in time for kickoff!
This recipe and blog has been provided by Chef Brian Beasley, Proprietor/ Executive Chef – Definitive Culinary Consulting. Follow Brian on Instagram here!
Chili con Carne
- 1 lb Chuck/ Brisket Blend or Quality Ground Beef
- 8 oz Hickory Smoked Bacon (Small Dice)
- 1 Chorizo Sausage (Raw)
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large White Onion (Small Dice)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 495 ml Honey Lager Beer
- 2 cups San Marzano Tomatoes crushed
- 1 Tbsp Blackstrap Molasses
- 1 cup Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot or rondeau, add olive oil, bacon, chorizo, and render until crispy. Remove and set aside keeping the rendered fat in the pot.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and sear the ground beef and cook in the bacon fat.
- Meanwhile form a paste with all the spices, cornmeal, and water.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the chili paste and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Add the honey lager beer and reduce by 1/3.
- Add beef broth, bacon bits and crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and whisk well scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook with lid slightly ajar. Cook for 2-3 hours until the sauce has nicely thickened.