Happy Mother’s Day!!!
What better drink could you ask for to treat mum? Rhubarb is in season, it’s beautiful and pink, taste amazing and is guaranteed to wow.
Start by making your own cordial, which is a syrup made from fresh fruits. Cordial can be enjoyed topped with sparkling water for a simple refreshing drink. Or add it to alcohol for a fancy cocktail. But it can also be served with plain yogurt, vanilla ice cream or to flavor desserts recipes!
You can process the filled jars for 10 minutes in boiling water to preserve your syrup all year long, just like jams! They make great homemade gifts!
Also in this recipe, we wanted to feature a few cocktail making ingredients to make it extra fancy. Not necessary, but will make you look like a pro and elevate the cocktails flavor and stunning presentation!
Now go ahead and shake one up for mom, she deserves it!
Enjoy the weekend!
Rhubarb Cordial and Gin Cocktail
- 300 gr golden sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb chopped, unpeeled
- 1 inch fresh ginger sliced
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan with 300ml water. Bring to a simmer then add the zest and juice of both the orange and the lemon along with the rhubarb and the ginger.
- Cook the mixture over a medium heat until the rhubarb is falling apart.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve. Pass it through a thinner sieve or muslin, without stirring (let it drip undisturbed) for a clear liquid. Pour into sterilized bottles. Keeps in the fridge for up to 1 month. You can also heat process the jars to preserve the cordial for a year on shelves.
- Makes about 600 ml. Serve approx. 25ml of cordial per 100ml sparkling water, or to taste.