Carnitas – Mexican Pulled Pork
Who needs a little Mexican sunshine?
This awesome and super easy recipe is the beginning of all sorts of great dinner ideas! Make a lot of it on purpose, because it freezes very well.
It’s not just pulled pork, it’s pulled pork that’s been crisped under the broiler for added layer of flavor!
And don’t skip on the Coke, it’s the secret ingredient! But if you really can’t, replace with chicken broth and 2 Tbsp brown sugar.
When you’re running out of dinner ideas, Carnitas will be there, waiting to be folded in a taco, rolled in a burrito, smashed in a sandwich or topping a salad!
Just pair it with the usual suspects; avocado, lettuce, salsa, hot sauce, cheese, pickled veggies… or whatever pairs with sweet, crisp and tender pork!
Don’t have a slowcooker? Use your instapot, or cook it in the oven, at 230 F, in a dutchoven!
Mexican pulled pork recipe to fill your tacos, sandwiches and more!
- 4 lbs pork butt skinless, boneless
- 1 large onion chopped in big chunks
- 10 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- In a slow cooker, add pork, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, coke, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours until the meat falls apart.
- Take the pork out and reserve the cooking liquids. Shred the pork apart, using a couple of forks.
- Pre-heat your oven's broiler. Place pork on a greased baking tray. Add a cup of the reserved cooking liquids.
- Broil until the meat is getting crispy. Watch closely, this can burn fast!
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add extra reserved liquids if you want. Serve as filling for tacos, burritos, sandwiches, or in a taco salad!