Dark Chocolate Cut-Out Cookiesby Valentine K.
Using black cocoa in the recipe will yield to a rich dark color, perfect for those Halloween cookies!
Dark Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
- Beat together the sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt until fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the egg. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl again.
- Whisk together the cocoas and flour, then beat into the egg and butter mixture until well blended.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment.
- Divide the dough in half. Sprinkle both sides of each piece with extra cocoa, to keep the dough from sticking.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll 1/8" thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until their edges are firm and you start to smell chocolate.
- Remove them from the oven, and allow to cool completely before decorating.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the icing sugar and milk until forming a thick but pourable paste. Add mor milk or more icing sugar until getting the perfect consistency. You can use food colorant to make icing of different color. Use piping bags to decorate your cookies, after they are completely cool. Let the icing dry until harden.
* you can use more Dutch process cocoa powder instead of black cocoa, the cookies just won't be as dark